Note how carbon is fixed in the ocean, in two ways:
1) by the 'physical pump' (the balance between concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere and seawater), and
2) by photosynthesis (growing of algae) which is assimilated in the marine food web (into organisms and their carbon-containing waste products).
- - - - - - - - - - - -
A relatively large number of algae grow in the
The measured annual increase in the concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere is only 60 percent of the annual emissions from fossil fuels. The other 40 percent is absorbed by the seas and oceans. Yann Bozec investigated how the
Up until now, little was known about the concentrations and transport cycle of CO2 in the
Bozec used these data to calculate how much carbon dioxide the
Seawater can absorb carbon dioxide in two different ways. The 'physical pump' works as a result of the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere being higher than that in the seawater. As nature always tries to restore the balance, carbon dioxide flows from the atmosphere into the surface of the seawater. In the winter, the surface water in the cold polar seas cools down and becomes slightly heavier. As a result of this it sinks under its own weight into the deep sea.
The second way is by algae fixing carbon dioxide under the influence of sunlight (photosynthesis). This mechanism is important in the
Yann Bozec's research was funded by NWO.